Monday, September 11, 2006

Australian Idol - Final 12

I wasn't going to watch Australian Idol this year. I swore off it after Kate DeHuge won it without any talent whatsoever last year (at least nowhere near as much as her competitor, Emily Williams). But, Wifey being Wifey (and what a delight to behold she is, too!), the show was invariably going to be on the TV in our house regardless of what silly ol' me had to say! So now I've seen the performances and will no doubt continue to see them as the weeks unfold.

So I may as well spout my views on the topic here for you all to ignore / argue with me about / dwell on. (BTW, amongst other things, Wifey and I are singers, so I know that of which I speak.)

Tonight, in a shock surprise result, Australia actually did the right thing and voted out uber-nervous Joseph Gatehau, who was in all reality one of the worst performers from last night's show. Whoa! Could this year be different? Will the voting public actually vote for the best singer to win the competition this time??!




Probably not, seeing as super singer Lavina Williams (sister to last year's Emily) was also in the bottom three. There are four people I want to go on record right now as being worthy of being in the top four spots, regardless of order: Lavina Williams, Guy 'Mutto' Mutton, Bobby Flynn and Ricky Muscat (if he stops singing R&B all the time). If those names don't mean anything to you, you can confirm their faces here.

Those I consider of great talent but unfortunately not as good as the above four are Damien Leith (in fact, he's so good he almost made the above list a top five), Chris Murphy (a consummate entertainer by anyone's standards, but just not quite good enough to be in the top group), Lisa Mitchell (she's classically trained with an exceptional voice, but she's too weak for this competition), Reigan Derry (ditto) and Jessica Mauboy (even dittoier).

Those who should be the first to go (if there's any justice in the world) are Joseph Gatehau (check!), Klancie Keough (sorry, Magical_M, but she simply doesn't have the voice for it) and Dean Geyer (nice guy, great voice, but nothing special). Unfortunately, they simply can't cut it with the rest of them.

But knowing the foibles of a phone-in voting system, talent doesn't have to be there for them to win (as we've seen). All they need to get them through is a single-minded fanbase that's voting on everything but singing ability (and we all know what wonders that can do for a future career!), and they're in.

It's all fine and good to call the winner the Australian Idol "as voted by you", but don't necessarily claim that they were also the best singer in the competition that year, because it simply isn't the case.

We'll see if this year is any different. I'm pleased to say we're on the right track with tonight's result. We'll see how far we can get before I'm really cheesed off.


.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:38:00 PM, Blogger magical_m said...

Hmmmm. HMMMMMMM.

I agree with you on Lavina and Bobby. As long as Lavina can hold back the tears better than her sister did. Emily was just too frickin emotional at the wrong times.

Bobby is a strange looking boy, but he's an awesome singer. He'll be up there for sure.

Mutto is just Lee Harding in another life form. I don't rate him but I bet he'll make the top 3.

Ricky Muscat is off the list for an indiscretion which I may or may not have blogged about at some point. There are no second chances for him as far as I'm concerned. He's a git.

Damien is great. They should stop barking on about his teeth though. Has anyone looked at Ronan Keating's teeth? They're not exactly an orthodontist's dream and his career's done him quite nicely thank you.

Chris Murphy. Yes. No. Undecided. A bit bland. I want him to surprise me with something a bit less mainstream.

Reigan. Nah. Nah.

Jessica. Blah.

Lisa. That was the worst cover of a Crowded House song EVER. NO ENERGY!! And it sounds to me like she's imitating a famous singer's voice. I can't think of the name of that singer right now but I'll work on it.

Anyway. She has to go.

You may have a point with Klancie, but hell, I'm still going to be voting for her. She's a great girl and let's face it, she's a damn sight more attractive than that Kasey Chambers minger who is currently one of the precious few recognisable faces of country/pop music in Australia.

And anyone who gets up and sings a Dolly Parton number gets snaps from me.

Now, Dean. Dean? Which one's Dean? Oh yeah, the pretty one whose song I can't remember. Nuff said.

And finally, poor little Joseph. Give him ten years and a chance to get away from Mummy holding his hand (and update his record collection away from Richard Marx ballads) and he might be ok.

;o)

I knew you'd start watching it eventually.

I shall go and purge the demon spirit of Mark Holden from my typing fingers now...


PS - Rockstar: Supernova. Will Toby win??

 
At Friday, September 15, 2006 10:26:00 PM, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

oh my god are you serious about dean?
i about came in my new size 12 pants watching him. i dont care if he wins, i want him in my bed as soon as is humanly possible. ie now.

messaged between my friend sandi and i on sunday night

sandi: i want to be reigan
me: i want to be surrounding deans penis

he is a tasty tasty boy

that said, i doubt i will ever actually purchase an album by an idoler

what was the ricky indsicretion???

 
At Sunday, September 24, 2006 4:10:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Wow, you ladies are crazy!!

(But for completely different reasons, and all in good fun.)

Magical_M, I actually gave it a couple of days to see if you'd be posting a regular thing on each week's elimination, but when it got to mid-week and you hadn't done it yet, I figured it was fair game. But now that I read everything you've got to say, you clearly have MANY more opinions on the subject than I do! (Even if they are twisted and wrong.)

:)

LittleFaerieGirl, you and Steph and a bunch of other 'no-good' blogging woman need to calm down and behave yourselves! If I was talking like this about a female reality TV contestant, I'd be castrated for it!!

(First by Wifey, and then by all of you!)

PS - I can't find M_M's reference to any Ricky Muscat indiscretion, either ... a little help, M_M?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home