Friday, October 27, 2006

10 Typos 2 Many

This is an open letter to the proofreader of the Network Ten promos:



You suck at your job. I mean, you re-heally SUCK!

I'm a proofreader by trade, and whoever Network Ten is getting to proofread their own promotional ads (if anyone even IS fulfilling that role) needs to sit through a couple of basic English classes. Let me break it down for you:


1. Last year, an ad for Rove Live said "Your ready" when it should have said "You're ready". Big difference. Instead of saying "You are ready", it said "The 'ready' that you own is ..."

2. As the 2006 AFL Grand Final approached, we saw pictures of the 2005 Grand Final on the screen, and the caption "last years grand final" appeared at the bottom (all in small case to be trendy, which I can respect). But this wording was instead of the accurate "last year's grand final". So ... rather than talking about "the Grand Final from last year", the ad was discussing "the Grand Final of an unspecified number of years in the past".

3. When the current commercial for Jericho plays and it ends with the caption: "You'll see it the same time as the states", I expect it meant to say we'll watch it at the same time as it airs over in the United States of America, rather than what it claimed, which was that we'd watch it the same time as NSW, Vic, SA and Qld. The moron typing it up mustn't have realised 'States' should be capitalised if it's talking about a country. Basic pronoun usage. And no, this ad wasn't using all lower case letters to be trendy. It was just a dunderhead at the wheel.

4. The current promo for The OC starts off with the caption: "Now that Marrisa's dead ..." Well, look it up, chump. 'Marissa' is spelt with ONE 'R' and TWO 'S'es.


Okay, so it's not ten typos as the title of this post may have implied, but the above four aren't the only ones I've noticed in all my days of watching Network Ten. It's frickin' atrocious. By comparison, here are the typographical errors I've spotted on Channels Seven and Nine, the ABC and SBS:










That's right; NONE.

Whoever's making those Network Ten ads needs to get someone else to read over them before they get beamed into every house in the country. YOU'RE ALL LOOKING LIKE UNEDUCATED IDIOTS OVER THERE - PRESUMABLY BECAUSE OF ONE RETARDED GIMP WHO CAN'T SPELL! That's a great job to give someone like that, by the way. Really intelligent move. Give that man a promotion.

Network Ten, you missed your chance to hire me so I could proof your work for you, but I know a couple of other people who are great with the English language who may be interested in working at the same company as Gretel Killeen, Philip J Fry and Dr Karl Kennedy. Send me an email if you've realised the error of your ways.



... you freakin' nutjobs!


.

7 Comments:

At Friday, October 27, 2006 7:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you feel better now you've got that off your chest?

Good, now get on with your TGYH posts! I'm hanging out for 3 weeks worth!

Having had my grouch let me say that I agree with you completely about the spelling & grammar. I think half their problem is that they have someone who fits their demographic writing these things and half of today's 'youth' on write sms's and therefore have no idea how to actually spell anything.

Perhaps Channel 10 should use your acronyms instead.....

 
At Friday, October 27, 2006 9:07:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Hehe ... I do feel better for getting that off my chest, actually. :)

And more importantly, the ad that ran for The OC before Smallville tonight was still wrong ... but the same ad that ran again after Smallville (and after I'd published this post at 5:51pm) had been corrected!!

Coincidence? Pfft! YMBK!* I like to think that someone made a call and had the promo fixed up, as per my little rant. I don't wanna take credit for something that didn't involve me ... but as that isn't the case here, and I was in fact instrumental to the correction of the ad ... I'm happy to take the credit for it.

So: YAY ME!!

As for TGYH, those posts take quite a while to write ... and I've gotta re-watch the episodes in question so I can take notes.

You've had little ones; you know what it's like! Sweetums is only three weeks (and one day) old, so the spare hours are hard to come by. The posts are on their way, though, and I thank you for your encouragement / impatience to get me onto them ... and for the clear indication that the posts have at least one reader! :)


* YMBK! = You must be kidding!

 
At Saturday, October 28, 2006 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Javatari said...

They don't call it the idiot box for nothing.

That being said, I too enjoy the TGYH posts. KUTGW - keep up the good work.

 
At Sunday, October 29, 2006 12:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure your not making two much off this!

I read book's when I want Comma's.

 
At Sunday, October 29, 2006 8:52:00 PM, Blogger Riss said...

Hear, hear.

I too am frustrated by the general lack of correct spelling and grammar in the world of advertising.

We even have foods that are advertised as "Lite", fergoodnesssake. How is anyone going to manage to grow up in this world and know how to use correct spelling??

Somehow I don't think we'll have to worry about Sweetums in that department, BTW. He'll be too much like his Dad!

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 4:29:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

I've just got to point out that the ads that ran all week to promote last Tuesday's episode of Joker Poker (Network Ten's late night comedy poker hour), listed celebrity contestant Brigitte Duclos as "Brigitte Duclo".

Idiots.

 
At Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your site and couldn't help but notice that I experienced the very same thing with Network Ten.

A few months back Ten was doing a promo on the finale of season 2 of NCIS, and they referenced the character Kate as 'Cate'. As a fan of the show (at the time anyway), this mistake hit me like a jab in the eye.

Of course Kate's full name is Caitlin but everyone in the show calls her Kate and all other articles, websites, and forums refer her with that spelling. It would seem that the people in chage of the ad probably watched just 2 minutes of it to quickly get the feel of it, and do not themselves follow the show.

I don't expect much from Ten but I would like at least for it to get the game of a character of the show they are promoting correct.

Nice blog by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home