Sunday, November 26, 2006

Australian Idol - WINNER!

Well, he did it. Damien, ugly teeth and everything, came through and won Australian Idol. I must admit, even though he was my preferred winner (and I even voted for him), I was a little surprised to hear his name read out.

I always expected Jessica to walk away with it.

Like I said last week, both of them are excellent singers, and Jess in particular has a certain 'diva'-style quality to her that makes people sit up and take notice.

But for the reasons I already went into here, I thought Damien would do a better job of the 'Idol' mantle.

And now we'll see whether or not he proves me wrong.

(He got a standing ovation in the Sydney Opera House, damn it!)

It was great to see the others in the Top Twelve re-appear. Bobby, Guy and Lavina were great, Ricky, Reigan, Chris and Dean were okay, and Lisa, Klancie and Joseph were crap. (For their part, Jessica and Damien were both very nervous to start off with, but you've gotta excuse them that. Just this once.)

As for the other performers, Guy Sebastian was good, Shannon Noll was not (does anyone understand what he's saying? - he has the worst annunciation in the world!), Marcia and Deni Hines were boring (bad song, and Deni can't reach the high notes), Anthony Callea was excellent as usual, The Young Divas were bland (particularly Kate DeHuge, who really brings that quartet down), and the less said about Jessica Mauboy's Nanna Harriet "touching herself", the better!

But what was this? Angela Bishop interviewed a massive tomato on the red carpet:


"Agh! Look out! It's a giant tomato!"


Did Casey Donovan intentionally look for the worst possible dress she could wear? And is there a reason she's the only former Idol not to sing at the final? (Besides the reasons that she's crap, nobody cares about her, and she hasn't got an album out because she's crap and nobody cares about her?)

This is the kind of mistake teenage voters have made in previous years with their choice of the female Idols. But thankfully this year common sense prevailed.

Jessica was the best kind of performer - a true professional and a gracious loser. She'll go far and I'm sure she'll land a recording contract (hopefully not before she decides what her 'niche' or 'angle' is going to be). We don't have to worry about her.


Beautiful and talented; Jess won't have
any trouble getting an album out after this.


And Damien Leith is hopefully going to do very well for himself also. How proud would his wife have felt? I can't imagine it. She 'discovered' him in an Irish pub, brought him back to Australia, married him, convinced him to audition for the show, and then there she was, sitting in the Sydney Opera House and watching her husband being crowned as Australia's favourite amateur singer for the year.

Amazing.


My GOODNESS, it's a good thing they
went to work on Damien's appearance
since these photos were taken!


I think it's a great idea that they're not going to rush an album through in five days this time (they must have finally worked out that as a basis for a good first album, that approach doesn't always cut the mustard!), so I hope Damien gets to add a Celtic/Irish flavour to the album and make it interesting.

It'll be great to hear what he comes up with.

Until then, I'm gonna sit back, relax, and enjoy the knowledge that us Aussies voted in an Irish expat as our Idol. Who says we're a pack of racist snobs? Multicultural Australia, I say.

Well done, Damo. Have a pint on me.*



* Your shout, though.


.

11 Comments:

At Monday, November 27, 2006 12:01:00 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I was totally pleased and surprised with the result. I think this was the first year where I was totally happy for either person to win, every other year I've thought one of the two didn't deserve to be there. Initially I thought Damien was lovely, but hardly a massive performer, but there were a few times he totally got me...

I was totally pleased with the announcement that they weren't going to try and rush through an album, the Idol series really has been a competition until now where it was better to come second.

I was also pleased (although I didn't watch the whole show) that they didn't bring out any Unforgetables. I always thought that bit was mean and unentertaining.

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 1:55:00 PM, Blogger John said...

It's all because he sang Split Enz!

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Enny said...

I was really happy that Damien won - he almost brought me to tears on more than one occassion; but I thought that Jess would be the winner (and end up being another Young Diva...)

I'm also glad to hear they won't be 'rushing it', but think that would also have been good for Bobby - has he been signed yet?

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All on the radio here in Perth at the moment is how he shouldnt have won because he isnt technically Australian.
Which he isnt.
But isnt that the best bit of Australia, the fact that we are so multi-cultural?
And Ireland is part of the monarchy, like we are so technically, he is part of Australia, isnt he?
I still think he is great and cant wait to grab his cd too.

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:23:00 PM, Blogger Adam said...

no dramas, I thought that might be a thing, but I haven't heard any of that myself. I'm really excited that someone who isn't born in Australia but is intending to get Australian citizenship won - it shows we've all matured and know that the Country of Birth box isn't the same as the Home box.

Or we just like someone who got 4 touchdowns. Whichever.

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 6:37:00 PM, Blogger Enny said...

Is BB Merlin a citizen yet?

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:35:00 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I was totally thinking about that when I wrote that comment. You're amazing!

There's actually lots of things about the BB kids I'd like to know. Are Jamie and Katie still a thing? Those other couples?

That ballerina from the first series became a comedian. Did anyone else do anything else?

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:27:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

"There's actually lots of things about the BB kids I'd like to know. Are Jamie and Katie still a thing? Those other couples?

That ballerina from the first series became a comedian. Did anyone else do anything else?"



My dear Adam, the answers to your questions are quite simple:

No, no and no.

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:09:00 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Not even Dino and Danielle?



Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 2:26:00 PM, Blogger Adam said...

Just on this topic, I saw BB06's gay farmer David at lunchtime in the Queens St Myer Centre. I wanted to ask him all these questions but he looked too grumpy.

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 4:42:00 PM, Blogger Riss said...

Regarding Casey Donovan, apparently she's been having some trouble with her family - took out a restraining order against them (remember she's only just turned 18). She's also known to be a heavy smoker. Damage to her image has meant that Sony BMG have dropped her as an artist and she is working on an independent album to be released shortly. Sony BMG have been quoted as stating that her family issues do not fit the image that they wish to promote. If you try to look up her website (be careful not to access the site owned by the p*rn star of the same name by mistake) it no longer exists, which makes sense if it was being run by Sony BMG.

The young lady has issews, obviously, but is trying to overcome them. Not being on a record contract with Sony probably means that she didn't have an "in" to be invited to perform and she probably didn't have access to a company stylist to make sure she looked good on the day.

I hope she succeeds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home