Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Another Mega Car Rally!

There's another show starting up on Australian TV at the curious time of 6:30pm Saturdays which caught my eye in TV Week a few days ago.

It's called Treasure Hunters, and although Channel Seven clearly doesn't have much confidence in it (based on the day and timeslot they've given it - not to mention that they've decided to run it in the non-ratings period), the premise seems very much like The Amazing Race (TAR) on steroids, so I'm sure to love it.




The article in TV Week - albeit brief - made it clear that it's very similar to TAR, but until I see it, I'm not going to feel cheated. I think we all know how much I love TAR, but I'm not so bloody-minded about it that I won't enjoy a similar show if it turns out to be better (even if it did only come about because someone tried to copy-and-best TAR). Of course, if it turns out to be worse, then I daresay I'll be fairly unforgiving.

The article in question reads:


Described as The Amazing Race meets The Da Vinci Code, Treasure Hunters sends 10 teams of three - including Team Ex-CIA, Team Miss USA and Team Geniuses - on a search around the globe for clues to a treaure, promised to be "the richest prize in television history”. Teams have to crack a code and abseil down a glacier – and that’s just for starters.

Unfortunately the ‘secret’ grand prize which is "the richest prize in television history” has been spoilt for me courtesy of the Internet, but I won’t spoil it for anyone else reading. Suffice it to say that it’s worth going through hell for, and I’m sure the teams do exactly that.

I think I’m really gonna love Treasure Hunters - for the same reason I love TAR - they’re both like giant car rallies. I love a good car rally. The race against the clock, the speedometer, and the other teams. The dirty play as one team leave bogus clues behind to confuse the teams that follow. The (non-dangerous kind of) sabotage that goes on ... all for laughs, of course. Car rallies of old. The idea that a car rally includes such stunts as bungee jumps and eating live cockroaches adds the blood-pumping adrenaline angle that is otherwise missing from any car rally you or I have ever been on. And it makes for great television.

Hopefully the show will live up to my expectations. I also hope it’ll soon find an audience, and that it gets moved from its dead-air timeslot to a more palatable evening position ... and then ‘wow’ the nation at large.


.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very exciting, count me in

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 9:15:00 AM, Blogger BEVIS said...

I don't know what happened to the comment, but I received an email this morning saying that Javatari had left the following remark here ... but it was strangely missing from the Comment Moderation page (I think Blogger's acting up again!) ...

-----

Javatari has left a new comment on your post "Another Mega Car Rally!":

Wow another new TV show. You know I remember a good TV show called TGYH. I also remember a solemn promise (possibly signed in blood), that a review of said show would be coming in about a week. THAT was 2 or 3 weeks ago!! Lift your game Mr B. ;-p


-----

And my answer? I'm waiting on another song from Colls Bolls before I post the final TGYH recap.

:)

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one, now you're putting ME under pressure

 
At Thursday, December 07, 2006 2:11:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Hehe ... you had it comin'!

:)

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007 2:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i reckon Treasure Hunters live up to the hypes. I love this show, but for heaven's sake... Channel 7 has been putting this great show on different time slots.
Im so pissed to miss some episodes because they move it to morning slots all of a sudden and they didnt show the final episode YET !!! They left a cliffhanger and i dont know if i will ever see who won. I had to use the internet for spoiler... grrrr.

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007 3:03:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Arch, welcome! I'm sorry to hear that you looked it up online and spoiled it for yourself! (And thanks for not saying who wins.) I could have spared you the trouble if I'd known, because I rang Channel Seven and asked about the second half of the finale and they assured me that they're skipping a week but that it'll be back on the following Saturday (17th March).

I have been similarly pissed off by Channel Seven's treatment of the show - in five weeks it had five different timeslots! It's ridicuous.

The good thing about buying TV Week every week, however, is that I knew what time the show was jumping to each Saturday, so I never missed an episode. Hopefully I won't forget about it and miss the last one next week!!

I'm barracking for the Geniuses (I love any instance where geeks can come out on top!), although I think Air Force will probably win it because they're generally the best team there. A workmate of mine is barracking for the Southie Boys, so there's a bit of a friendly rivalry here in the office about the outcome.

WE CAN'T WAIT!!

(Yes, the show has DEFINITELY lived up to all expectations - it's a MEGA-HYPED UP show, like The Amazing Race on steroids!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home