Tuesday, March 06, 2007

That's A Bit Rich!


The Rich List got it wrong! In the second week of Channel Seven’s new game show, one of the lists the contestants were asked to complete was: ‘Name Recurring Characters On The Muppet Show’.

I nearly had a heart failure.

I had tried this exact list the week before for myself (during the show’s premiere episode), purely out of interest to see how many I could honestly list without assistance if I was given my ‘dream list’. I didn’t realise at the time that the same contestants I was watching then were going to be asked that very list the following week. I came up with about sixty character names, and then I was quite disheartened to see that the show didn’t reveal the full list after the silly contestants bombed out with ‘Waldo’ (they meant Waldorf, but who’s stupid enough to think it was Statler & Waldo?!).

A week or two later, I noticed during the closing credits that they started to advertise the show’s website, where all previous lists were … well, … ‘listed’, and you could suggest your own list (to save the researchers doing too much work, presumably).

I should also point out that Aussie Rock Chick emailed this information to me as well when she saw it, because she knew from my angry rant on hers and/or Adam’s blogs that I was highly frustrated that they’d never shown the full Muppet list so I could scrutinise it. Thank you again, ARC.

So I was finally able to see the ‘full list’ (as far as they were aware) of recurring characters on The Muppet Show.

I must say, they should have run their list by me first:

ANIMAL
ANNIE SUE
BEAKER
BEAUREGARD
CAMILLA
CRAZY HARRY
DR BUNSEN HONEYDEW
DR JULIUS STRANGEPORK
DR TEETH
FOO-FOO
FOZZIE BEAR
GEORGE
GONZO
HILDE
JANICE
KERMIT THE FROG
LEW ZEALAND
LINK HOGTHROB
LIPS
MAHNA MAHNA
MARVIN SUGGS
MILDRED HUXTETTER
MISS PIGGY
POPS
ROBIN
ROWLF THE DOG
SAM THE (AMERICAN BALD) EAGLE
SCOOTER
SGT. FLOYD PEPPER
STATLER
SWEETUMS
THE FLYING ZUCCHINI BROTHERS
THE MUPPET NEWSCASTER
THE SWEDISH CHEF
THOG
UNCLE DEADLY
WALDORF
WANDA
WAYNE
ZOOT

Where’s Rizzo? Where’s Lewis Kazagger? Where’s Gaffer? Where’s Baskerville the Hound? Where’s J P Grosse? Where’s Nigel the Conductor? Where’s Beautiful Day Monster? Where’s Doglion? Muppy? The Snowths? The Talking Houses? Winny (aka Claudia Bird)? Gladys the Cafeteria Lady? Elmer and the whole freakin’ Jug Band?!

Not to mention the recurring Sesame Street characters, who - by appearing in more than one episode - technically qualify as 'recurring characters'. (Note: Even though the question does not specifically require them to be known as recurring Muppet characters, the Sesame Street gang are also known as ‘Muppets’ in the strictest sense of the term. So there's no weasling out of their omission on that score!) So that means Big Bird, Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Count von Count, Oscar the Grouch, Herry Monster and Grover are all missing from the list as well.

Expect one HELL of an angry letter, Channel Seven!


.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home