Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Win-Win Situation



Last night we, as viewers, were faced with a win-win situation:




or





I'd have been happy either way. I was dying to get rid of either or both of them, so knowing that one of them would have to go pleased me no end.

Of course, I also think Pati, Chris and Kimberlie are all annoying and unworthy of winning, so I'm not gonna be happy about the end result regardless.

When Damien was sent home for such a ridiculous non-gameplay reason of picking three eggs over a pork sausage the other night, I was crestfallen. He was the only remaining reason I was watching the show - and before you scoff, I've only continued watching the show without him because I knew from TV Week that the eliminated contestants would all be returning to the house this week to compete for the chance to get back in the game.

I hope Damien gets it. Or Mel. Or Marty. Or Greg. Or even Gerard. I wouldn't be too miffed if Michael, Alex, Kelly or Laura got it, either. I just hope Courtney doesn't get straight back in. (I'm not sure why P'eta isn't there, but hopefully we'll be told why by Ajay during tonight's episode. Maybe she turned it down because she just got a new job, or maybe - like Tracey last year - she just wasn't up to facing it all again so soon. I understand that Sarah, Jules and Sam can't be there because the returnees were specifically referred to as "the eliminated contestants", but that statement includes P'eta, even if she was eliminated by only one other contestant in a surprise twist. Maybe she was busy buying a vowel to replace the apostrophe in her name or something.)

I will admit, though, that Courtney was getting less and less offensive in recent weeks, and I agree that it all comes down to him growing up so much. The last few days I've laughed out loud at his snappy responses to poor old Chris, as well as the facial expressions he's given others behind Chris' back. And his final moment of glory - falling on the sword for his friend Munnalita (who he recognised had so much more to achieve in the house, whereas he was happy with his journey) was very much an Easter-themed tale of redemption and self-sacrifice for another. I was impressed.

But that doesn't mean I want him back in the game.

Unfortunately, I'm sure that whatever tonight's episode holds in store for the eliminated contestants, Damien's probably not going to come out the winner. Despite being the nicest and most honorable/deserving person there, he's never been one to win at a challenge or (at this point in the game) shock us with a massive weight loss. So whether it's a challenge or a weigh-in that will determine who returns to the game, I'm sure someone other than Damien "The Man" Wicks will be victorious.

I'm just glad that Damo has learnt so much and come so far that he has gone from a 216.3kg gargantuon like this:




... to a meek and sleek confident and genuine rock'n'roll band frontman like this:





If you don't watch the show and can't see any difference between the two photos, that's your loss. Damien has reduced his size by more than 45kg, and is well on the way to reaching his goal weight.

But more than that, he's a dead-set legend.


.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:27:00 PM, Blogger meva said...

Yes, Damien is one of the nicest people ever to be on a reality TV show. I hope he gets back in, too. Such a gentle and honourable man.

But I will disagree with you about Courtney! I think he's extremely entertaining and I've grown quite fond of him.

 
At Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:01:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

The thing about Courtney is that he's certainly entertaining to watch, but I don't know if he's the sort of person I want to be 'rewarded' with $200,000 at the end of the thing for his behaviour towards other people.

However, I agree that his change has been remarkable. Rewind back to the first few weeks in the house especially, and listen to his interviews to camera. 98% of them were bitchy and nasty, directed at almost every other person. Only Munnalita was spared (because, as a hairdresser, she knew how to gossip and bitch with him about everyone else).

Compare that with the interviews he gave in the last few weeks. With the almost-understandable exception of Chris and Marty (the former because he's new and a threat, and the latter because of bad blood that's existed between them - and the fact that Marty was brought in to replace Jules after being eliminated), his comments about other people in his interviews to camera are mostly uplifting and pleasant. Listen to how he talks of Damien (from his opposing team), and Munnalita when he elected to 'save' her because her purpose was more important than his own.

THAT'S a Courtney I could have liked from the start. And I'm glad he grew up like he did and came to realise a few things about himself and how to be a better person. Yes, it's good to see that he could see the 'sad, angry' person inside himself when he watched the DVD of his audition. But that doesn't mean I think he should win or even stay in the game at the expense of the very lovable Marty and the ultra dependable Greg. Not to mention most of the Blue team.

But anyway - I don't mean this to sound like an argument. Just a friendly discussion!

you're_wrong_you're_wrong_you're_wrong

 
At Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:23:00 PM, Blogger meva said...

I'm_right_I'm_right_I'm_right

And another thing! Marty gets on my goat. (Whatever that means! Odd, odd phrase.) I will NEVER forgive him for saying "I'm 38 years young." Ugh!

 
At Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:55:00 AM, Blogger Dupa Jasia said...

.. .. ...

 
At Sunday, April 22, 2007 4:18:00 PM, Blogger Mars said...

i hate marty. i don't want anyone to win out of who's left now. if anyone, i probably liked courtney best. ANYWAY, this is not the reason for my comment...

have you noticed in all the fernwood ads that christy (from last year) has been doing, we are only seeing head shots? ie. no full length body shots for us. WEIRD. do you think it's because she's stacked it all back on?

also, Dot saw Damien doing his thang up in Darwin the other week and noted how impressed she was with his weight loss. star sighting, or what?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home