Monday, May 07, 2007

The Nation Kates You



Okay, I can say it now, because she’s out of the House: Kate's the Housemate I know in real life. (I said I wasn't going to identify which of them I know until the Housemate in question was voted out.) It was a no-brainer that she'd be voted out first. She actually IS like that in real life.

SHOCK-HORROR! SHE WASN'T BEING MISREPRESENTED!

I think she’ll be better off for being out of the House and away from those idiots who were (initially, perhaps) giving her a hard time. But Kate was struggling in many ways in there, and I think being reunited with friends and family will do her the world of good.

Although she and I were never really close, I certainly knew her as a loud, ‘rough’ girl who said what she thought and enjoyed a good time with boys ‘n’ beer.

That’s why I knew she’d be Evictee # 1.

Being Evictee # 1 must be a strange feeling. For all the proud thoughts of love and warmth Gretel was sharing with her on stage tonight, surely the one thing going through her head was: EVERYONE HATES ME!


Kiss THIS, Kate!
The first official casualty of Big Brother 2007.


The rejection is pretty major, and very, very public. I can’t imagine it’s anything other than twelve parts of embarrassing.

But the stuff about pre-eclampsia was worth noting. Wifey disagreed with Kate’s assessment that hospitals don’t advise mothers on the risks and likelihood of pre-eclampsia so they don’t “spoil the funness of pregnancy”, because Wifey was told about it and she read heaps on the topic in the pregnancy books she hunted down.

Perhaps the problem is relative to Geelong-based hospitals. Or maybe Kate just needed to pay more attention to what she was being told, and/or do some pregnancy research of her own, like Wifey and I did.

Either way, it can only be a good thing that the end result of this is the way attention was drawn to pre-eclampsia. I’m all about raising awareness for such important matters (in part because it’s cheaper than raising cash), so if anyone wants to know more about pre-eclampsia, here’s the link you need.

I think it would have been a better House if Kate had stayed in there a little longer (and I’m not talking as someone who knows her, either), but there was no way the 13 year-old girls who make up the majority of the votes on Big Brother were going to leave her there after that horrendous first week she had.

And the fact that Kate doesn’t have the perfect body – that was certainly reason enough to vote her out ... at least, it is when you're a vapid pre-teen who idolises the Emmas of this world.

It's wrong, but there you have it.


.

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 07, 2007 3:58:00 PM, Blogger Pomgirl said...

Although I probably wouldn't want to be stuck in a house with her, I did like Kate. Or perhaps I just liked what she represented.

This is the first time I've managed to get The Boy to watch BB and he was so sure Kate would stay (he hadn't realised that it's mostly 13 yr old who vote) that he was all shocked an sad when she was evicted. I feel like a Big Brother veteran after watching so many series, in two different countries, and knew she would go.

 
At Monday, May 07, 2007 4:27:00 PM, Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

i went to highschool with fitzy

hes like that in real life too

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 7:56:00 PM, Blogger Melba said...

i'm so happy i can comment as we are watching this series

[claps and bounces quite a bit]

i agree re the pre-eclampsia. it's all over the place when you're pregnant and i can't understand anyone NOT knowing about it, and NOT being paranoid of developing it. anyway, i did feel sorry for her but i really just thought she was a bit of a "well, enough about me, what do YOU think about me" type of girl, and seemed very drama queenish as well. i liked what she purported to represent, but i really don't think she had the goods (ie, the toughness) in the end. i think she was a lot of talk and that's what disappointed me about kate. right at the beginning, i thought "here we go, a bit of character" but she either fell apart and wasn't able to cope, or wasn't the real deal. i'm not sure.

and i'm not sure who i like most yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home