Monday, June 11, 2007

The Ice Queen Melts As It's Game Over



When Emma’s name was read out last night for the first eviction, Wifey and I both cheered, “Yes!” and punched the air with our fists. Okay, maybe not literally with the air-punching, but our relief at seeing the back of Emma was genuinely expressed through the syncronised “Yes!” that each of us blurted out in unison.

I know she was considered ‘entertaining’ to watch and made the show ‘interesting’, but there’s a point when someone’s bitchy behaviour is just too much to bear. Emma had backstabbed (and then put on her innocent face) far too many times for my liking, and it was beginning to spell the end for me watching any more of the show this season – I honestly had that much of a problem with her. She caused too much friction and sapped all the fun out of watching the House.


"Ding-dong, the b!tch is dead ..."


The fact that she simply doesn’t (or perhaps now she does, but at the time she was in the House, she didn’t) acknowledge that she was actually the worst behaved Housemate I can ever recall on the show just infuriated me further. Her repeated, “I don’t bitch about her behind her back, but”, and “I’m not trying to be a bitch, but” and “Ordinarily I haven’t got a bad thing to say about her, but” and “It’s not in my nature to be nasty and mean to someone, but” and “I’m just not that kind of person, but” drove me up the wall.

I don’t condone violence against women, but …

Ahem. Anyway, I honestly expected Daniela to be the second evictee last night – not because she necessarily deserved it, but because I figured the voting audience wouldn’t care about her as much, due to her Intruder status. (Frankly, it was a surprise Laura wasn’t nominated last week, or that Billy chose to put Rebecca in Aleisha’s place, rather than Laura.)

But I guess enough of the public have been hating Rebecca, just as Wifey and I have been hating the antics a la Emma. Personally, I haven’t minded Rebecca too much. Sure, she was a weirdo – but who isn’t? (Certainly not me, but please excuse the double negative. It wasn’t not unintentional.) Sure, she was religious – but so what? So are Osama Bin Laden and George W Bush, but you never hear a bad word said about them! Sure, she was annoying, but have you people seen the kinds of comments I leave on Ms Fits’ Friday Q+A posts?

Something that bugged me about Rebecca was her insistance on using the term ‘irregardless’ when making statements she wanted to be taken seriously. ‘Irregardless’??! I think she meant either ‘regardless’ or ‘irrespective’ … or maybe a mix of the two. But ‘irregardless’ is definitely not a (real) word. I yelled at the TV every time she said it, which was quite regularly (if only it had been more irreregularly).

Note: the word is so controversial that it actually has its own Wikipedia page, documenting its origins, its gradual acceptance by (largely) North Americans (and residents of Boston in particular), and the ideology (with which I wholeheartedly agree) that it’s a redundant word because it’s a double negative.

It was also slightly bothersome that she cried so much. I could understand Emma and crew making fun of her for her tears (although at the time I thought Emma was particularly hurtful and harsh in the way she chose to do this), and if I’d been in the House I would have been quite annoyed (and probably snapped at her) for her continual hugs goodnight, etc. And her incessant attempts to get the Housemates to play youth group-style games.

Hmm, maybe there was plenty to dislike about Rebecca …


Irregardless Irrebecca: No More Games For You.


No, I stand by my original belief: I don’t think she was all that bad. Her friendship with Jamie (who I quite like, most of the time) was the exact thing he needed at the time, and her ability to think well of everyone and try to get along with each person in there – even if they showed nothing but contempt for her – was a refreshing change from the norm.

She certainly played the most games while she was in the House, but not the sort of games the Housemates usually get accused of playing. That one scene of her dancing around the bedroom inside her doona cover while everyone around her ignored her and had their own conversation (although she thought she was the star of the moment, unaware that no one was paying her any attention) was especially embarrassing to watch. But at least she amused herself.

But it appears the Australian public weren’t amused as well. I think this sends out an interesting challenge to the House: If there’s a fellow Housemate you really don’t get along with, WATCH OUT! Chances are you’ll be evicted alongside them, and you’ll have to spend the next few months doing the interview-and-appearance circuit with them by your side! It happened with TJ and Bodie, it (kinda almost maybe) happened with Demet and Hayley, and now it’s happened again with Emma and Rebecca.

I’d love it to keep happening with the likes of Laura and Daniela, or Zach and Travis …


.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:32:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

You'll notice I've said nothing about the passing of Emma's Dad, or BB's decision to advise Emma of this fact the day before she was evicted.

This is because:

(a) Clearly, with a whopping 76% of the votes, it must have been obvious that she was going to go;

(b) Advising her a full day in advance meant that she wasn't going to be shell-shocked when she appeared on stage with Gretel;

(c) It was true to her father's wishes (even though it probably indicated to Emma that she was definitely about to be evicted);

(d) It avoided any unhappy circumstances where a rowdy audience member yelled it out to her and THAT'S how she first heard of it (although clearly that wasn't going to be how BB allowed her to hear the news); and most importantly ...

(e) I think it's none of our business anyway.

 
At Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:52:00 PM, Blogger Melba said...

one of our catchphrases has become "i'm not being nasty but...[insert nasty comment here]"

emma was entertaining but i was also over her nastiness and the way no body successfully called her on it. she was quite smart the way she did it. it would be the saddest if she really didn't realise how nasty she was.

rebecca was kind of embarrassing. but also different.

what i really don't want to happen is for travis or andrew to win. they are both nice [read boring] and just the types to win. joel's flying under the radar, zoran is pretty bland. jamie scares me, though like you i like him most of the time [another catchphrase - i'm not CRYING - we actually went around the room, me, clokes and the 3 kids, the other day and all of us did our best 'i'm not crying' and then decided whose was best. mine was. by a mile.] but i'd like jamie to win as long as he's not a secret psycho. i like laura, she's different and how freaky was that dream she had about emma and her dad. aleisha is ok but a bit bland. same with billy. um, who else is there. the two intruders, well zach i just don't know and the other one i would like to throw against a wall.

anyway i keep saying to myself i have to stop watching so much of it, and then get sucked in again. am going to try and just keep it to daily half hour shows...

famous last words.

 
At Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the worst series ever. I have completely lost interest.

I agree with you completely about Emma and Irrebeccalispective by the way.

But I just can't care about ANY of them.

I wish we got UKBB. At least they get housemates across the age ranges.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home