Monday, July 16, 2007

Brazilian Idol Melted Down For Scrap


Truthfully, I didn’t mind Daniela too much, but it was fairly obvious from the get-go that she’d be the Housemate to get the boot this week.

The thing that seemed like a massive waste of time, however, was the “special intrusion” of grumpy, delusional, self-important Australian Idol judge and Top 40 radio host, Kyle Sandilands. Although the “poor widdle diddums” got a headache and had to leave on his first night in the House (actually, migraines are quite serious and I’m only teasing … I occasionally suffer from them myself), his tirade against Big Brother in the Diary Room was really quite hysterical to watch. I found myself loving it! The poor woman who was ‘voicing’ Big Brother at the time was clearly out of her depth talking to someone who answered back and wasn’t going to accept her rulings, and I could just imagine that the lengthy pauses in her ‘discussion’ with Kyle were filled with panicked calls to the Executive Producer asking what she should do. It was interesting to note that Kyle gave BB an ultimatum, after which the camera cut back to the other Housemates for no particular reason whatsoever, and then we returned to the Diary Room in time to witness Kyle and BB closing their negotiations. RIPPED OFF!!

But whatever. Kyle’s a bit of a norrie and although he often speaks the truth on Idol (if a little harshly), he’s still a bit of a knob with an opinion of himself that FAR outweighs his actual worth, IMHO.


Kyle’s head was hurty, so he went to beddie-bys …
and never emerged. For a while there I wasn’t sure if he’d
snuck out of the House or died in his sleep. Or been eaten.
Unfortunately for us all, he appears to have survived.


Kyle was apparently in the House to shake up the Housemates and cause them to look at each other a little differently. He was also meant to make life difficult for them by “accidentally” leaving the meat behind in the Big Brother Shop (something that was spoilt by the female Big Brother voice and for which he chewed her out over later). None of this he succeeded in accomplishing very well, but let’s be fair and say that his early and unscheduled departure from the House prevented him from putting his entire plan into action.

But it didn’t matter anyway, because nothing Kyle did this weekend was going to influence the voting public enough to evict anyone other than Daniela.


I never thought Daniela “was all that”.
Her dead, emotionless, zombie-eyes scare me at night.


With Michelle gone from the House (I’m still thanking the Lord above for that), only Daniela and Aleisha remained to represent the fairer sex. I can’t say that I ever really thought the other nominees were in any trouble this week.

Are there any avid Daniela fans out there? I can’t think what would draw you to her, frankly. We didn’t see enough of her to be invested in. She was either trying to invoke rebellion in the hearts and minds of the long-term Housemates, but she was really pushing a load of it uphill. If she wasn’t starting arguments or deliberately causing trouble, she was arguing with Michelle (I was with her on that one, actually) or boasting about how good looking she is.

I just couldn’t see any appeal in her -- which is not at all the same thing as disliking her. I certainly wouldn’t put her on the same level as Michelle, Demet, TJ or Emma, but neither would I say she was an interesting Housemate to watch like Joel, Travis, Zach or even Bodie (drunken pig-ishness in the latter aside). Does anyone else note how I’ve split the Housemates there? All “nasty” group is made up entirely of girls, while the “good” group is made up entirely of guys. Am I being sexist? Or did the Big Brother producers (as I’ve said all along) stupidly choose female Housemates who would either become mega-biatches or wallflowers, while the guys are either amusing clowns or hunky spunks. I think the sexism derives from those who selected this year’s Housemates, and I think it’s appalling. Hopefully next year they’ll give us a real range of personalities, rather than just saying “an mother, a Muslim, a Mormon and a Barbie doll” is representative of “all walks of life”.

But I’ve strayed from my original point about Daniela, which is just this:

Ho-hum.


.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home