Monday, October 30, 2006

Australian Idol - Final 5

Well, tonight's outcome wasn't as good as it could have been (if Dean had been given his marching orders), but it certainly wasn't a total washout. It was fantastic to see the back of Ricky. (And I know Magical_M will be well-pleased.)




I suppose I should give you my preferences with the final four.

I hope it's a Jessica/Damien Grand Final ... with Jessica taking home the chocolates. She's simply the best (out of those who are left; Lavina was the best of the full twelve, and IMHO Jess would have had to fight Bobby for the runner-up position, if I'd had my way).

In third place is Chris. He's okay, and I don't really have anything against the guy, but his performance is kinda exclusive to rock. Even his 'ballads' are soft rocky, with the obligatory scratchy rock voice simply singing softly. Ricky would have been my pick for fourth place (out of the five remaining at the start of the night tonight), with Dean my preference for elimination earlier tonight.

But somehow, despite me wanting a Jessica/Damien Grand Final, and being okay-if-I-absolutely-have-to-be with a Jessica/Chris Grand Final, I fear that it's actually going to end up being a Jessica/Dean Grand Final. And that would suck ... because the "hunk o' spunk" vote always gets the dopey, talentless beefcake across the line (deserving or no).

One other thing that I've been meaning to mention for a few weeks now: Could someone please take Marcia Hines out the back of the studio and shoot her??! I mean, come on, woman! You're a freakin' judge! So why don't you try a little judging sometime!! Take a side, have an opinion! Not everyone does "very well" - you're not helping them by not being honest! I'm sorry, but Mark Holden and Kyle Sandilands are correct 95% of the time (sometimes those are different 95%s at different times, but they're both generally spot-on with their observations), whereas Marcia mollycoddles the contestants and says, "There there, did the big nasty man say a hurtful thing? You're alright, here, ... suckle." There's nothing beneficial by always being kind to every contestant and getting angry with Mark. Who asked for the Grannie judge to sit there and give useless and vague and entirely unhelpful statements?

Also, as if she didn't know she was being dragged on stage to receive her gold record! Yeah, right! Even if they did keep it from her, she would have known exactly what was going on and the 'surprised' act really stuck in my craw.

Bring back Dicko, I say. The judging panel would be a lot more fun to watch if it was Mark, Kyle and Dicko - don't you think?!

:)


.

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Jellyfish said...

Hrm. While I don't like Kyle or Mark at all, I must admit Marcia is getting increasingly annyoying. 'Don't you ever change, honey!' has been the catch-cry of choice around my house lately, thanks to it's sheer idiocy.

And I'll thankyou to never use the word 'suckle' in relation to Marcia again. It sent me to an incredibly frightening visual place.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH Marcia... I almost want to get a job at 10 JUST to shoot her. Kyle gets a lot of crap for his comments, but Marcia should be getting 10x more for her LACK of comments. **grumble**

I know you're busy, and I know you havea life, but TGYH! TGYH! Please please please please please!!

And also, do you listen to Get This in the mornings with Tone and Ed? Coz if ya did, make a post on that... I know you do TV, but I love Get This and I love your blog so get on it, tiger, and write me a post! *wallows in selfishness*

(and sorry for calling you tiger. truly.)

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Blogger magical_m said...

Thank f**k he's gone.

Sorry for cussing. But I am so relieved he's finally out of there.

I too am hoping for a Jessica/Damien grand final. I would be happy with either.

Even though it should really be Lavina taking home the crown.

I agree that its now time to go Dean. But I bet he'll be up there in the top three... bland little sausage that he is.

Oh and Marcia.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. If she says "you go girlfriend" or "thank you so much" one more time I will go to the studio and shoot her myself. MAKE A FREAKING JUDGEMENT WOMAN!! You're employed to JUDGE, not to be all sweet and wishy washy... that isn't helpful!

Oooooh and Dicko, Mark & Kyle. Now that would be good. Although Mark is a dumb-ass. Maybe replace him with, ummmmm... I don't know... Ugly Dave Gray? Bert? Stuart Wagstaff? Some old codger who's been around for far too long and tells it like it is?

Dicko, Kyle and Ugly Dave Gray. That's a good combo I reckon.

 
At Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I'm surprised with how good a job Kyle is doing, sometimes I think he's the only honest one there. Mark does very well also, but I'm more likely to disagree with him. I actually really liked Ricky at the start (top 40) and then he got boringier and boringier and applied more and more makeup.

Marcia's spot is supposed to be the singer, someone who can see all the voice issues but often those types of comments are left to Mark. Marcia probably irrates me more than anyone else in the world (the whole wide, not just restricted to TV world). Quite frankly, she's an idiot and is completely in over her head. I'd prefer a singing teacher to her.

Hey Jellyfish, we've had 'Just be true to yourself" for a while...

 
At Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:09:00 AM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Jellyfish, Wifey and I much prefer this exchange: Whenever one of us wants to thank the other for something, we say, “Thanks, Marcia,” to which the obligatory response is, “You’re more than welcome, honey.” Oh, and your reaction to the word ‘suckle’ made me chuckle. :)

TGYHWatcher, do I know you? Anyway, I promise to get to my backlogged TGYH posts very soon. Although I can’t promise anything, I suspect that this weekend will see things moving along. I have a five-day weekend!! Friday is my regular day off, and because I worked all day Saturday and half the day Sunday (which feels like years ago but it was only a few days ago!), I’m taking next Monday off in lieu. Then of course we have Melbourne Cup Day (a public holiday) on Tuesday. So even though I may not have caught up on all four TGYH episodes that will be outstanding by that point, I’m hoping that by the time the TGYH finale rolls around, all will be well again. Thanks for your support, though. And because you kindly said you love my blog, you may feel free to call me tiger whenever you want. (Oh, and as for Tony Martin & Ed Kavalee’s ‘Get This’ radio program … I’d LOVE to post about that, but unfortunately my work is such that I can’t listen to the radio in the office. And on my days off, I generally don’t get up before 11am! It’s a shame, because I’ve always loved Tony’s work and I’m sure I’d be a huge fan of the show.)

Magical_M, don’t apologise for ‘cussing’ – you self-censored your comment, so blessings be unto ye! We seem to agree on a number of points now (I seem to recall us having differing opinions on many of the Idol finalists, but perhaps I’m just remembering it wrong). Yes, Jessica and Damien are the best two remaining. Yes, Lavina was actually the best of the 12. Yes, Dean should be the next to get the chop (but probably won’t be). Yes, Marcia needs to try some actual judging. Yes, the name ‘Ugly Dave Grey’ makes me laugh. :) What a shame Bernard King’s dead. How good would it be to have Dicko, Kyle and Bernard up there, telling them like it is and/or being unnecessarily cruel for the sake of amusing the crowd?! Much better to unfairly cruel than unrealistically kind, I reckon. The other options are Red Symons, Todd McKenna and the Polish judge from World Idol. Hilarious!!

Adam, I agree that Mark wears rose-coloured glasses when it comes to some of the contestants (Lisa and Dean in particular), but with other performances he seems to get it right much of the time. But yes, Kyle is probably more accurate than Mark. I guess what I’m thinking of, is on the occasions that I agree with Mark’s assessment of a performance (about 60 – 70% of the time), Kyle also agrees. I never agree with Mark and then have Kyle disagree. Does that distinction make sense? Whereas sometimes I’ll disagree with Mark … and so will Kyle. So yes, Kyle certainly seems to hit the nail on the head more often than the other two (but Mark’s not too far behind). I guess perhaps Kyle being a non-performer (just like Dicko, who was also the ‘most correct’ of the three judges when he was there; despite the ‘bad boy’ image both men have got simply for speaking the truth) is what sets him apart from seeing the performances through sentimental and empathetic eyes. That’s not how an audience sees a performer; only a fellow performer sees things that way, so Kyle’s doing the contestants the best favour by telling them the truth – and being the most accurate about it. He should just stop giving comments that relate to the contestant’s appearance, build, cuteness factor and/or belief structure. When he steers clear of those non-performance related remarks, he doesn’t go wrong. I also liked Ricky at the start (the way he dealt with that flaky and weird Jorge character was just brilliant), but after a while he got too ‘samey’ … plus Magical_M told me some gossip which, if true (and she swears it is), puts the lad in a rather poor light. And yes he also got ‘boringer and boringer’ and applied more and more make-up as the weeks went on, so forget him! Saying that Marcia is the person who irritates you more than anyone else in the whole wide world is a big statement to make! Unabashed honesty from Mr Adam – I like it! (I’ve noticed that you’re going through a bit of a serious phase lately – on and off.) Maybe we should petition Network Ten to get rid of Ms Hines and replace her with basically anyone (except Gretel Killeen). Perhaps Feral Killmen could do it? I hear she’s looking for a new gig …

 

Post a Comment

<< Home