Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 Neighbourhood Watch

Alright, with Neighbours starting back next week, it's high-time I had a look ahead at what the show plans to bring in 2007. But I ain't no fortune teller (despite my wonderfully insightful predictions quite early on in the piece last year that Will was the mysterious "Mr 2%" of Lassiter's), so I'll be bringing you the following information with much thanks to my good friends at TV Week:


This edition of TV Week was all about Neighbours;
even to the point of Toadie being "special guest editor"!
... No, really.
(click all pics in this post to enlarge)


Please be warned that (although there's nothing too drastic) this post does technically contain spoilers for the new season.

Let's get underway by meeting the new cast members for 2007:



Lolly (Louise) Carpenter, non-biological
daughter to Lou, played by Adelaide Kane, who
was one of the winners of that Dolly Magazine
competition they held mid-last year. Don't get
too attached to her, though - rumour has
it she won't be around for very long.



Ringo Yeats, younger brother to Frazer (and
presumably Johnny Brown). Why he's also going by
the name of 'Yeats' if it's a fake surname Frazer
made up, I don't know. I hope they cover off on that;
as well as showing Ringo struggling to remember to
address his brother by his adopted alias, rather
than the name he would have called him all his life.
Ringo will be played by Sam Clark, the other
winner of last year's Dolly Magazine competition.



'Glenn Close', as I called her in a previous
post
(due to her potential to become a psycho
stalker of Boyd's, following his infidelity in
Tasmania. The character's actual name is Glenn
Forrest, and she's played by Cleopatra Coleman.
We've already seen a bit of her work last year,
so she's not a total newbie.



Oliver Barnes, Will Griggs' older brother.
(Remember, it was revealed in the final episode
of 2006 that Will's real name is Sebastian Barnes.)
Due in part to actor Christian Clark's (who plays
Will) decision to leave the show after his
probationary three months was up, the writers
brought in David (pronounced "Dah-vid") Hoflin as
a semi-replacement. I'm guessing they still had
Barnes-related storylines to fill, and needed to
create a sibling in order to do so.



Additionally, Senior Sergeant Allan Steiger (played by Joe Clements) is still not a series regular in the new year, but with daughter 'Pepper' (Nicky Whelan) now officially in the show full-time, and Steiger's blossoming romance with Janelle Timmins set to make us all cringe and bring up our dinners throughout 2007, he's certainly getting a lot of mileage out of his recurring role.


(... but fewer teeth than he may have expected.)



Then there are surprise returns ...


Max is back! And he brought along a new
family! (I hope the kid in the middle doesn't
keep looking at the camera all the time -
although I guess he can't be worse than
Oscar Scully, who he's really replacing,
for all intents and purposes.)


So much for Elle Robinsons' "supposed"
departure to Tasmania at the end of 2006!
(Apparently the writers wanted us to question
whether she'd be back. Well, if this photo
didn't prove it, let me say categorically:
She hasn't left the show.) But it's the brief
return of Adam Hunter as Robert Robinson,
the evil twin on trial for evil things,
that this picture's meant to be telling us.
This must be pretty early on in the new
year, because Katya's leaving the show
within the first month. Yay!!



Shock departures ...


Who's in the coffin? Stingray? Dylan?
Perhaps it's even absent father Kim Timmins?
Of course, there's also every chance it's Will
Griggs, Katya Kinski or Lyn (& Oscar) Sully.
I can tell you now that Lyn and Oscar won't
be returning from their trip to the Maldives
on the honeymoon originally planned for
doomed newlyweds Paul & Lyn Robinson.



Affairs of the heart ...


The face of the person in bed with
Carmella is blurred out. My guess from the
caption is that it's either Paul Robinson,
Frazer Yeats or Harold Bishop.


And it must run in the family ... here's
Carmella's sister Rosie "gettin' it on"
with two of the aforementioned men:
Paul Robinson and Frazer Yeats. Nothing
beats a good love triangle!



And blantant ratings stunts ...


(... Except perhaps for a love isosceles trapezium.)



Should be good!!


.

4 Comments:

At Monday, January 01, 2007 9:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've suffered many injustices, but not being given a role on Neighbours is a new high (low?).

I would have made such a fantastic Pepper Steiger Sauce.

What's wrong with me!?! I can pretend I've got a "real" career on the side as good as any of those telly talkers.

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:21:00 PM, Blogger Melba said...

we are starting to froth at the mouth from withdrawal. i also for the first time in my life bought tv week. yep, that one. yep, devoured it. yep, got frustrated because it was all just stuff to make us hang.

i snickered when you said the coffin might have lyn and oscar in there. hopefully.

happy new year, you.

x

 
At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:04:00 PM, Blogger PiesFan90 said...

1) you didn't comment on the Stadler & Waldorf accounting firm (That's gold Jerry).

2) I used to work with Dah-vid's father back in the 80's. I remember his first acting gig was as the middle child in Evil Angels. I'm sure his dad is happy that he has a paying gig again.

 
At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:04:00 PM, Blogger BEVIS said...

Tyson, I can just see it now - especially in tomorrow's scenario with the attempted seduction of Paul Robinson! Rowwwr!

MelbourneGirl, I hope this week's been worth the wait for you. I'm impressed (if that's the right word to use) that you bought TV Week. Clearly you were missing the show very much! So did you notice the new opening credits? (Of course you did.) Interesting new omissions, yes? It's easy to see which shots they'll be dropping as people leave the show over the next little while. Three are already missing entirely (Will, Lyn and Oscar - Charlie and Kerry apparently don't count, although they're featured in the closing credits regardless), and at least seven others that I know of (who are all set to leave during the year ... but I won't name names unless you want me to) are only in 'token, disposable shots' which will clearly be dropped over time, in favour of shots featuring other cast members (perhaps including the newbies who'll be joining shortly?).

Clokeeeey, (1) sorry mate. You're right, I forgot to go back and answer you. I've done so now, though (I've answered MelbourneGirl's comment as well from the "Time Spent With My Neighbours" post from December - see my list of Neighbours posts on the sidebar), so please have a look. (2) That's pretty freaky. I thought he looked a little familiar, but there's no way I'm remembering him from Evil Angels. A quick look at his IMDb page shows that I might be thinking of ads for McLeod's Daughters or All Saints ("ads", because I don't watch either show). Actually, that's pretty unlikely. He was barely in either show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home